Every person who believes on Jesus Christ is immediately placed into the body of Christ and should then join a local New Testament church where they can carry out God’s purposes. (Lesson on ‘Why Church Membership’).
Church membership enables believers on Christ to love what Christ loved (the church) and to carry out so many commands of Scripture including the Great Commission of going into all the world and making disciples of all nations.
Below is the process whereby people can take the next step of becoming a member of our church.
In order to become a member of Downham Baptist Church, you must meet the following requirements:
- Confess faith on the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal Saviour.
- Evidence regeneration by a living consistent with your profession.
- Be baptised by immersion after salvation with no merit for salvation.
- Attend services faithfully for at least three months prior to joining.
- Receive instruction about membership (i.e. Membership Class).
- Complete a membership application form and be interviewed by the Church Officers or someone they designate.
- Confirm your agreement to the Basis of Faith and your acceptance of the Church Constitution and By-laws.
- Have your Membership approved.
HOW TO JOIN
- Those who meet the requirements above, can be received into membership by a) baptism, b) letter of transfer from another church of like faith or c) by experience if previously saved and baptised or restoration being restored to membership after discipline.
- The general procedure for joining the church is as follows: a) make application to the Church Officers to join the church, b) going through instruction about membership, and c) be received into membership at any of the public meetings of the church after having your application examined by the Church Officers and being voted on by the church.
Every couple of months, we offer a membership class for all prospective members. In the class we aim to answer the following questions:
- What does our church believe and how do we operate?
- What makes us different from other churches?
- Why are we a Baptist church?
- What is church membership?
- Why church membership?
- What are the responsibilities of church members?
- Who can join the church?
- What is the joining process?
- What happens after joining?
To sign up for our next membership class, speak to a leader in the church or contact us.